‘Futon’ is a Japanese word which typically means a Bed. Hence, a futon beds is a concept of Japanese bedding which is laid on the floor and comes along with a mattress and a quilt. This is very similar to the concept of portable beds that we have in India.
Parts of a Futon Bed
A futon bad comprises of three main things which are:
- A bed mattress called as, the ShikiButon
- A bed comforter known as, the KakeButon
- Pillow used with the bed called, the Makura
What are Futons made of?
They are generally made of latex, organic cotton or wool compressed in the form of several layers. The layers are then weaved together to keep give the bed a solid structure and to ensure longevity and durability of the product.
Some futons are also made of latex and hence they require regular flipping every week for better durability and maintenance.
Features of a Futon Bed
- Easy to use
- Light in weight
- Requires lesser space as can be laid on the floor or used as a sofa at the same time
- Acts as a Furniture substitute
The Downside of using a Futon
- Futons demand a lot of care and maintenance as compared to traditional beds
- Floor based arrangement leads to back pains and strains in case of older people
- Regular cleaning required as more susceptible to dirt and moisture.
A good part about futon is how you sleep and make efficient use of it. Some people tend to get better sleep with it and hence this increases their overall well being. Moreover, if you are looking for a cheaper option till the time you can manage a full-fledged bed, just go on and buy a futon as it will not disappoint you.